Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Blogging in the Dark

Domestic Scene - Judy and Pete make Pasta

Bill Travels Light

Obi-wan bug shields



Grand Falls-Windsor, NF August 24
Today 114 km, total 2674 km
Here's Barney. Barney is blogging in his tent. No internhet here, so who knows when it will get posted. Blogging in a tent is a pain in the arse. Actually a pain in various body parts, depending on strategy. I can sit upright with the computer between my legs, but with no back support, it soon becomes excrutiating. I can lay on my side and type with one finger (instead of my usual two) which doubles the time. Or I can just say the hell with it, which I have so far managed to resist.

My little one man Hubba tent is actually amazingly efficient. I have quickly evolved a system for setting up. First pitch the tent, then take the gear out of my panniers that I will need overnight - washup kit, non-biking clothes in a mesh bag, washup kit, camping odds and ends like flashlight in plastic bag, and handlebar bag that contains essentials like my camera, cell phone etc. Each of these goes into a specific place, left or right of my feet, and I can find anything I need, even in the dark. I inflate my thermarest sleeping pad, unroll my down sleeping bag, and stuff my clothing bag into my pillow case. My panniers, containing gear not immediately needed (bike tools, riding clothes etc.) are sealed and left outside in the tent's vestibule. That's it. It's amazing how little you really need to live comfortably.

As I sit here in the dark, I can hear the loons calling across a nearby lake. I love that sound.

Our ride today was pretty much a re-run of yesterday, but with blue skies and a few white fluffy clouds. Bill was still a bit under the weather, and chose to drive the sag wagon, and Judy, Pete, Ryan and I headed out at about ten o'clock. Today, I had the happy legs,and had a fantastic ride. Although our route today changed direction twice, starting NE, then turning south and finally east, the wind was cooperative, and we seemed to get a significant boost on every leg. I was riding big ring virtually all day, and working on my out-of-saddle technique on every rise. The result was a non-stop run (feet never touched the ground) of 114 km, at an average speed of 30.3 km/hr. I have never ridden so far so fast in my life.

Arriving in Grand Falls, we hit the Sobeys store and picked up the makings of a fish pesto pasta dish. Judy had brought cooking gear from Ohio in the van, and she cooked us a delicious dinner, washed down with plenty of wine and beer and accompanied by witty and perhaps ribald conversation.

So now, I am ready to don my silk PJs, crawl into my sleeping bag and say...
Goodnight
Barney
Pete's blog http://www.transcanada09.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment